Wendy Aragon …
- lives in the Richmond District of San Francisco, CA, which she calls the City of her heart. She grew up in the Willow Glen neighborhood of San Jose, CA. She has also lived in Seattle, WA.
- was born on April 14, 1974, but no one believes her because she looks like she was born on April 14, 1984. Her given name is Wendolyn Chelsea Aragon, in case you were wondering.
- likes to sew pretty things by hand, bake delicious sweet and savory treats, hand-write letters, and manipulate books paper into fascinating creations. Her favorite person in the world is a small fluffy white dog named Bean, a Coton de Tulear, whose pictures can be found at various posts on this blog. She can also pat her head and rub her belly simultaneously, is very good at trivia, and makes excellent pickles. She is currently considering learning to tap dance.
- is an outspoken feminist. She started this journey in Girl Scout, where she earned lots of badges, proving that little girls can do awesome things. After graduating from high school, she then immediately cut her teeth during the days of the Riot Grrl movement where she learned how to be a badass and fight the power, picked up some tattoos, and nourished her soul through social justice, collaborating, economic equality, and gender equality. Currently, she is doing what she can to foster leadership and self-confidence in young girls as the Recording Secretary for the Girl Scouts of Northern California, San Francisco Service Unit Administrative Board.
- earned her Bachelor’s degree at San Francisco State University in American Studies with a concentration in Urban Studies. She likes to get her nerd on by learning, talking, and teaching others about the awesome history, hidden gems, and lesser known facts about San Francisco. If you are ever lost in San Francisco, you should contact her as she has been nicknamed “The Human GPS” by several friends.
- is heavily involved in progressive politics in San Francisco. She is the Vice President of the Richmond District Democratic Club (AKA the only progressive and probably the only productive club on the West Side) and is a member of several other local progressive clubs and organizations. She also ran for one of 10 seats on the Democratic County Central Committee in 2012 via the Progressive Slate and while she didn’t win, she came in 12th with just 1,600 votes shy of winning, sweeping by people who out-fundraised her by at least three times, people who were older than her, people who had run several times and never won, and a graduate of Emerge (a second-wave feminist program which trains women to run for office).
- loves you and thinks that you are equally awesome.